Friday 2 February 2018

Over 700 new data sets added this week!

I hope you are having a successful and healthy 2018.

This weeks additions include more parishes from Lincolnshire, Findmypast collections from Durham, Northumberland and Yorkshire, more cemeteries from gravestonephotos.com and parish records from the Dorset Onlne Parish Clerk website.  The latter is an excellent example of the great contribution that volunteer transcribers can give to the community.

This weeks panic was my discovery that Genuki had changed their URL structure meaning that my 1200+ Genuki links were in danger of not working.  I had to manually review each one and update many to keep them working.  Genuki has a large collection of publically donated parish records and is a good resource for free information.

I am now down to 300 Lincolnshire parishes to review and add to the OGI so that should be coming to an end in February.

We are having a lot more interest and use of the site which pleases me to know that my project may be helping others all over the world to track down online records of their ancestors.  Currently, about 10 people are leaving their names and emails and becoming a "friend" of the OGI.

If you have not yet read the article about the General Register Office, I highly recommend it as the tips and step-by-step instructions will help you track down more ancestors using freely available resources.  You can find the article by clicking here.

I wish you all a good week and will continue looking for new resources to help us all.

Kind regards,

Tim Manners
http://ogindex.org

No comments:

Post a Comment